Saturday, March 31, 2012

Playing Catch-Up!

I've been sick as a dog for 2 weeks now and am still not quite 100%.  So needless to say, I haven't been doing many neat "photo worthy" adventures.  I have not felt that there has been much to blog about - AND on top of that, all it ever does these days is SNOW!  I've decided to fill you in on some of the things that are happening in 6th Grade instead of me, cause my kids are hilarious!  :)

Optical Illusion art


I like to put some of our artwork on the ceiling to add a little color - other really special ones go up in the hallway for others to see.

Two of our four windows are covered with snow...
And yes, those are icicles on the inside of the snow and our window...


I decided we needed a little sunshine (since we aren't seeing any in real life), so my kids are starting a sunflower art project.  Outline is made of Elmer's Glue, then we'll chalk them next week.  My example is below.


We also did a unit on Poetry from the Holocaust Museum of Houston.  It is based around a book of poetry and artwork made by children who were prisoners of the Terezin Concentration Camp.  Each of my students were assigned a poem and had to create a butterfly to represent their author based on the content of the poem.  Here are some examples of the butterflies created:





We are working on the Water Cycle now and will be transitioning into Weather soon.  Here's our bulletin board we made together:
Our P.E. and Health Dept. had Mr. Caz, "the world's strongest man" come visit to speak to our kids.  He was wonderful!!  He rolled a frying pan up (see below)...his message was "believe, achieve, succeed" and "I can and I will".  It was nice to have him speak.


 Next week, we have the state tests...Julie decorated her door with positive thoughts and mantras for the kids to have during the test.  My kids took their favorite one and decorated an index card to put at the top of their desks to help alleviate any stress during the test.  Here's one example, more to come :)

3 comments:

  1. I roll up frying pans in my kitchen on a weekly basis....;) Miss you!
    Teryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, so, so very sorry you've been sick, Honey! But know that you're starting to feel better. :-)
    Just seeing those icicles on your window...and ALL THAT SNOW, makes me cold. BRRRRR! Your kids are so blessed to have you, Am. It looks like you have a lot of artistic fun (and learning, of course) in your class. Looks like they really took to the Op Art Challenge. I especially like them up on the ceiling!
    I LOVA, LOVA, LOVA the sunflower idea! That would perk anyone up. Yours is lovely! I think I'd like those up on our walls here at home, so we could make believe it's summer already! EIGHT WEEKS AND COUNTING!!! It's gonna fly by!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you are keeping busy! Hope you are all well by now, sorry to hear you were sick. Fun to see what your kids are doing too. I think you sound like a real fun teacher!

    ReplyDelete